Thursday, December 20, 2012

NOV 5

I am sitting next to my dad in the office. Only a few of y'all know that my dad is a small business owner of a trucking company whose office is right at home. So, I am home thinking back on what my last month in Nicaragua was. I can break it down into weeks. November 5 was the day I met Agentes de Cambio. Little did I know that I was going to learn from them much more than what I had scheduled for my independent study. I learned about Agentes de Cambio during a class with Maria Teresa Blandon a well-known feminist in Nicaragua. I jotted down Agentes de Cambio along with other youth organizations in hopes that I will find my future participants for my ISP (independent study project).

My finished ISP was "An analysis of political perspectives and values in families of Matagalpa, Nicaragua with an intergenerational focus".

I had emailed Agentes de Cambio and had gotten a response from Yaser Morazán. My soon to be advisor! I made plans to meet him and Agentesd de Cambio Monday November 5. I was going to miss my last day of class in Managua but I prioritized this meeting because my gut told me to head over to Matagalpa. My first meeting with Agentes de Cambio was ideal. I was promised participation from the organization and most of them were more than willing to help me with whatever I may need. I was even welcomed into the organization to see what Agentes de Cambio was all about. Agentes de Cambio is a sexually diverse organization. It was founded three years ago with the purpose of creating a space in Matagalpa for gays/lesbians/bisexuals/trans/homosexuals/heterosexuals/etc. It is an organization that promotes human rights, reproductive rights, sexual rights and youth leadership without discrimination through protest, media, presentations, film series and other way primarily through art.


It did not take me long to recognize that Agentes de Cambio was the organization that I was looking for. The following week I moved to Matagalpa to start my independent study.

But what happened between that time? I took a nice walk in Managua with Diego and Nay'chelle. We took a day off from research to visit Sandino and canopy in Managua. We also had some ice-cream and walked around plaza Inter. Here we encountered a cultural incident... There was a competition going on with the latest music to see who could dance better. The moves were to be competitive, the sexier the better... at least that’s what we saw. There were people cheering their favorite and the audience was enjoying it all. The participants came from the audience so none were professional dancers all but one was female. It was cute in the beginning until the competition got more intense. Was there anything wrong? Well, the participants were under 12 years old. First time I saw little ones dance sexually in a mall for a competition. It was getting a bit uncomfortable as we walked away, and out of plaza inter we went.

No comments:

Post a Comment