Thursday, October 18, 2012

THE TIME HAS COME

ALRIGHT, so I have yet again been absent for a while. I hope ya'll had a good time looking at the recent pictures that I put up. Later today I will be on my way to El Salvador. I will be indulged into an intense week long coverage of El Salvador's history; along with its triumphs and challenges it has gone through and is currently going through. These past few weeks I have been busy with papers, presentations and working on what my independent study will be. Once I return from El Salvador I will have a week of preparation for my independent study which will begin November 6, 2012. After much thought into what it is that I want to focus my studies in for this small time in Nicaragua I have come to the conclusion that ...

My study goal is to narrate the family and social influences of four to six youths whose parents and or grandparents may or may not be politically active; or might or might have not been politically active through out their youth or in present day; and to investigate the phenomenon of the gap between generations concerning the ideals of the revolution including Nicaragua's present regime.

(I know that there is space for questions and conserns so please feel free to comment. I would greatly appreciate any feedback and recommendations.) The reason I am focusing on a theme of politics in generations is because I want to take advantage of the time, space and place. The generation that lived through the Contra war of the 1980's is todays older generation. I am a student and therefore am seen as a neutral party and therefore will encourage a safe space to share personal thoughts and refelections. Nicaragua has a very recent history of civil war and so, because of my presence here I am able to communicate with three generations whose perspectives are nurtured through family and social issues and have led to ... well, this is what I want to find out.

I have yet to find an advisor for my independent study, I need one to guide me with my research and be able to provide connections to what might be helpful for my investigation. I bought a very expensive voice recorder today. I might be crazy buying it but I will aim to use it restlessly and make it worth the cost. I figued that since I will be making many interviews I will need something to help me remember things I miss for when I go over my notes. I will use it in El Salvador to see how well it works and to test out its battery and proficiency.

Early this week I skyped with my older brother and started to brag a bit about my professors and lecturers. I guess I will mention the few I can think of right now just to provide an idea of how intense and well credited the program is:

Comandante Dora Maria Tellez, the women who dealt with negociations during the take of the National Palace which was the turning point to the fall of the Samoza regime (1978).

Comandante Eden Pastora, aka Comandante Zero during the take of the National Palace (1978).

Johnny Hodgson the father of autonomy of the Caribbean coast of Nicaragua.

Simone Zenon Morales the only (Garifuna) snake doctor in Orinoco and surrounding Bluefields.

Antonio Lacayo, Engineer that served as the right hand man of President Chamorros' during her presidency.

Zoilamerica Narvaez, step daughter of current President Daniel Ortega. She is an advocate for peace and a victim of sexual assult and abuse from her step dad Daniel Ortega.

Maria Teresa Blandon, strong feminist and founder + regional coordinator of La Corriente

Luis Fley aka Comandante "Johnson"  de la contra (CIA)

Araceli Alfaro VERY VERY VERY interesting woman!!! She is my Spanish professor with a strong not really horribly complicated but yet very very very much so (see how complicated that is?). She also happens to be the god daughter of President Daniel Ortega. She also has a military background.

And many more that I cannot remember right at the moment!!!


CANNOT WAIT FOR EL SALVADOR!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment