Sunday, September 2, 2012

MOVISTAR

TODAY was a very busy day. It started with interviews for our spanish class placement. I am most consern about academicly improving my spanish and expanding my vocabulary list. I don't know how my spanish class will be structured so I will find out possibly tomorrow or Monday. After everyone was done with their interviews many of us went together to the mall which is like a fifteen minute walk away from Casa San Juan and bought cell phones. We only have two options in Nicaragua, it was between Claro and Movistar. Of course we picked Movistar. Both practically offer the same service except one is slightly better in the coast and the other one slightly better in the north. The tie breaker was that tweeter functions with Movistar. This is my first cell phone from out of the country!! We had dinner at our directors house and had great patahaya and burritos. I was able to talk more to our friend driver and found out that he is catholic and sings in his capilla in a band. He mentioned that they are trying to record a CD and hope to get working on it within this month. Some of the songs that they sing are religious and include the sounds of some popular music such as La Bamba and change the lyrics to something about Jesus/ God. It is interesting becuase they are asked to play at parties and often times they are asked to play something from the coast and they are able to sing a familiar genre with a twist of Christianity. He has invited me to come see his neighborhood since I was asking alot about the dynamics of it. I plan to take his word and visit him and his family as well as meet his band or listen to some of their music. I haven't declared my ISP but there is no harm in keeping an open mind.
         --La Cuneta Son Machin --

Possibly the most exciting and thrilling part of today (as in Saturday) is that we were able to attend La Cuneta Son Machin's concert in La Ruta Maya!!! I am now in love with this band. The music played tonight was a mix of folkloric dance music and rock music. It is very vibrant and passionate. I could not stand still for very long because the music just got to you. The band also played some very energetic songs with comical lyrics, and even pulled out some jokes for a bit in the middle of songs. They are officially my favorite band. They are all about Nicaragua and take pride in being Nicaraguenses. Their songs range from love songs, to songs that speak of the revolution, to very comical ones that are just to laugh at and dance to. Their musical instruements are not just objects but they use their voices to make different sounds and rythms. I was very impressed! I do have some videos but I will need more time to be able to download them. I am not too certain that I will be able to do that.

It is late and I have to go to bed now. Tomorrow I will finally meet my new family!

No comments:

Post a Comment